Hair Loss Minimisation:
At The Compounding Lab we compound many preparations that support and assist in creating wellness in reducing hair loss.
Going bald is a fact of life for millions of men. Adults lose about 10,000 scalp hairs each and every day. With male pattern baldness your bodies ability to replace these lost hairs diminish and gradually bald areas appear as the hair line retreats back.
There are any number of reasons why men start to lose their hair, but if you are a man between the ages of 20 to 45 and you start to lose scalp hair, then the chances are 95 percent certain that you are experiencing male pattern baldness.
Fortunately there are treatments available through compounding that can slow down the loss of hair and in some cases grow it back. We can work with your doctor to compound both topical and internal forms of medication that can help you fight against male pattern baldness.
Active Ingredients we are able to compound into Shampoo or scalp treatment: Make your combination that suits you with your doctor.
1. Minoxildil 2-15%
2. Finasteride (0.1%)
3. Azelaic acid (1-5%)
4. Retinol Compounds (Vit A 0.01-0.05%)
5. Caffeine (0.001%)
6. Vitamins & Nutrients
Women also experience hair loss.
At The Compounding Lab we compound many preparations that support and assist in creating wellness by reducing haor loss in women. Our products can be Glycerin base (Free of Proplene Glycol) which is Less Irritant or Included with PG for penetration enhancement.
Minoxidil is the only TGA approved and most widely used ingredient for hair regrowth as of today. It was first used as an oral drug to lower blood pressure. It was soon found to stimulate hair growth in those who took it to lower blood pressure.
The effectiveness of minoxidil solution on hair growth is dosage dependent, which is evident by the history of minoxidil products approved by FDA. Although minoxidil is the first and only topical solution approved by FDA as of today, the mechanism by which minoxidil promotes hair growth is not fully understood. Several mechanisms have been proposed. None of them involves blocking 5-alpha-reductase activity (DHT blocker) as azelaic acid does.
2. Finasteride: Available in capsule 0.5-2mg Compounded capsule. Finasteride is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor. This 5-alpha reductase is an enzyme in our body that converts the male hormone testosterone into DHT , a more potent derivative of testosterone that is believed to be the main cause of male pattern baldness. Hair follicles that are sensitive to DHT will fall off when exposed to the hormone. We compound a gel 1-2% in combination or capsule taken once or twice a day.
3. Azelaic Acid:Azelaic acid is a naturally occurring substance found in whole grains that studies have shown to inhibit 5-alpha-reductase in human skin. 5-alpha-reductase converts testosterone into dihydrotestostrone (DHT), accumulation of which in scalp is believed to be responsible for the male pattern hair loss. Inhibition of this enzyme by azelaic acid can reduce the concentration of DHT in scalp and therefore facilitate hair regrowth. Azelaic acid can be found in many prescription acne medications. Azelaic acid is added to minoxidil solutions because it has different mechanism of action in preventing hair loss. The combination of them results in a more efficient and effective method to decrease the levels of DHT and speed up the process of hair regrowth significantly.
Possible side effects of azelaic acid include: a) increased sensitivity or irritation on the scalp; 2) burning, stinging, or tingling of the skin; 3) erythema, dryness, rash, peeling happens in less than 1% of patients. The side effects usually subside after discontinuing use of azelaic acid.
4. Retinol Compounds : studies showed that combining minoxidil and retinol works better than minoxidil alone due to the enhanced penetration of minoxidil and improved scalp condition [ Yoo HG et al, "the additive effects of minoxidil and retinol on human hair growth in vitro.
5. Caffeine: Studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals have shown that not only caffeine reverses the suppressive effects of Testosterone on the growth of follicle but also is a very strong stimulator of the hair follicle growth [Fisher TW et al, "Effect of Caffeine and Testosterone on the proliferation of human hair follicles in vitro" International Journal of Dematology, 6(1): 27-35].
6. Vitamins & Nutrients: Saw Palmetto Extract: liposerolic extract of the fruit of saw palmetto. Saw palmetto has shown to effectively block DHT
GLA, ALA, Linoleic Acid and Oleic Acid: Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA), Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA), linoleic and oleic acid are essential fatty acids found in plant oils, which have been individually proven to inhibit 5-Alpha Reductase. In fact these are the most powerful inhibitors of 5-Alpha Reductase known today and not only they inhibit the Type II form of the 5-alpha reductase which other products like Propecia® inhibit, but also the Type I form of the enzyme which is present in high concentrations in the scalp, sebaceous glands, and the skin.
Adenosine, vitamin B6, vitamin B12: Each of these ingredients is required for cell growth, proliferation, and division. Insufficiency of any of them would disturb many enzymatic reactions that are taking place in our body in every second, and can lead to hair loss.