At The Compounding Lab we compound many preparations that support and assist in creating wellness in all areas of Pharmacy especially sleep improvement. The best suggestions to improve your sleep are consider supplementation of Melatonin and Magnesium and introduce better sleep hygiene strategies.
Melatonin is a hormone that is found in all biological organisms. Melatonin in humans is produced by the pineal gland from the amino acid Tryptophan. It helps the body know when it’s time to sleep or when it’s time to wake up.
Melatonin’s Use in Your Body:
Melatonin is released at night or while you are in the dark to instruct the body that it is time to sleep. Young and middle-aged adults usually produce about 5 to 25 micrograms of melatonin per night. Melatonin maintains the Circadian Rhythm of our body. The Circadian Rhythm is the built-in 24-Hour “clock” inside our body which plays an important role when we should wake up and when we should fall asleep. When your surroundings are dark, the body produces more melatonin; when your surroundings are bright, the production of melatonin is reduced. Without an increase in melatonin production in the evening, it will be difficult to fall asleep.
Signs and Symptoms of Melatonin Deficiency
Low levels of melatonin may cause:
- Difficulty sleeping
- Fatigue and dizziness
- Inability to think clearly.
- This level declines as a person ages and this is reported to be the reason why older persons have difficulty sleeping.
Why you have a Melatonin Deficiency
Stress, mental health disorders, jet lag, night shift work, and poor vision are some of the things that can disrupt normal melatonin cycles. The level of melatonin you produce also declines with age.
Forms of Melatonin
Two forms of melatonin exist on the market, the natural form which comes from the pineal gland of animals and the synthetic form which is made from reacting certain chemical compounds. Natural melatonin may pose a risk to humans because it can be contaminated with animal viruses. Synthetic melatonin is safer to use because it is free from biological contaminants. We supplement Melatonin from 0.1mg to 10mg in various dosage forms Suspension, Capsule and Troche.
Why Take Melatonin in Hormone Treatment?
Taking melatonin tablets before going to sleep can supplement the melatonin levels of the body, which makes sleeping come easily and consistently. Melatonin reduces the time it takes to establish normal sleep pattern and reduces the time it takes to fall asleep and reduces daytime tiredness. Using melatonin before bedtime helps restore the biological clock function and relieves those symptoms.
Melatonin is popular as a sleep remedy, but has many other benefits, such as:
- Improve symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome & migraine headaches
- Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory actions and immune system booster
- Cancer protective agent
- Improves the menopause symptoms
- skin protective agent from ultraviolet light
- Reduces anxiety
- Depression and seasonal affective disorder
- Reduce age-related decline
Magnesium is available in many types of salts. The Magnesium Glycinate form is preferred by us at The Compounding Lab as it's absorbed efficiently , has minimal stomach discomfort and can be taken in a capsule 500mg or powder. Magnesium Oil , which is Magnesium Chloride saturated solution comes compounded in a pump spray or soak solution for assisting a restful sleep.
Good Sleep Hygiene:
- Go to bed at the same time each night
- Get at least 8 hours a sleep at night
- Wear a eye mask
- Block out curtains, and remove all fluro lights illuminating in bedroom
- Remove or reduce caffeine & alcohol from diet
- No computer activity after 8pm if so download a software to reduce powerful radiating blue light
- Wake similar time and have an early morning walk in sunshine
- Relaxing herbal teas before bed